Hamadi Jebali, Head of the Transitional Government of Tunisia met in Berlin with Members of the Bundestag, representatives from government agencies and selected think tanks to discuss the political and economic developments in Tunisia.
With the constitutional assembly currently entrusted with drafting a new constitution for the country, a general election under the new constitution would be held in late 2012 or early 2013. This would further consolidate the democratic developments in the country, where the government was set to strengthen the state institutions and to promote a stronger civil society. Also discussed was the rising economic inequality and the continual unrests at the borders.
Körber Foundation regularly invites a small circle of high-ranking actors within Berlin’s foreign policy community to its Political Background Discussions. As in the Bergedorf Round Tables, the discussions take place shielded from the public, so as to enable a confidential, frank, and constructive exchange.
- Political Luncheon with Sihmen Bensedrine, January 17, 2012, Berlin
- 3rd Martin Luther King Lecture with Sihem Bensedrine, January 16, 2012, Hamburg
- Demokratie oder Diktatur 2.0: Wohin steuert Ägypten?, November 16, 2011, Hamburg
- Political Breakfast with Mahmoud Jibril, October 27, 2011, Berlin
- Political Luncheon with Jamal Himdan and Khaled Hamza, October 18, 2011, Berlin